[RE-wrenches] Desulfator question; Battery Warranty

Chris Schaefer chris at solarandwindfx.com
Fri Apr 27 11:12:20 PDT 2012

Larry and Rest,

            This is a great thread as I've often wondered if the
"DeSulfator" units were actually working. I first saw these back when I was
in the Marine Corps. So if I understand it correctly the inverters filtering
on the DC buss cancels out the effect of the D unit. Kind of always
approached it as a black box but because the cost was so small that I looked
at them as cheap insurance when compared to the cost of a replacement
battery bank. I'll be the first to admit that I have always sold the D with
all our new battery systems. In my mind with a D unit on a new battery bank
this would ensure that the battery plates would be kept clean of sulfation.
Of course this is on top of regular charging, and maintenance. Now I've
never seen what the wave form would look like on a scope and would ask that
the next time you or any other wrench have the opportunity to please provide
us with a picture of the scopes screen with a D unit on just the battery and
then one when connected to the inverter. Additional I'd ask for a picture of
what you D unit looks like on the scope also. As they say a picture is worth
a thousand words. I should state that 95% of our battery systems are lead
acid in the range of 500 to over 1300 amp hours in size @ a 20 hour rate.

Thanks,

Chris Schaefer

Solar & Wind FX