[RE-wrenches] Solar Modules vs. Solar Flares

James Reismiller james at abundantsolar.com
Fri Apr 27 12:08:01 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

Long time member, first-time poster.  We installed an EMP-proof (to the best
of our ability) PV System last year designed by our own engineer Kirk, who
I’m hoping will chime in on the conversation.  Our client, a wealthy
physicist was very concerned about solar flares, and EMP weapons.  The main
idea we came back to was complete magnetic shielding for the system.  Here
are some of the strategies we employed:

1)      Custom built, removeable, ½” wire mesh screens surronding each
module (reduced insolation, I know)

2)      All metal raceways, except intermodule wiring (covered by metal
screening)

3)      Farrite core coils and air coils between each series module

4)      DC High pass filters after combiner box at array and after DC
disconnect in the garage (ground mounted system with 130ft wire run)

5)      Magnum MNSPD surge suppressors on combiner, DC buss bar and AC
output (These alone would provide a modest amount of protection, especially
on the AC side, if grid tied)

6)      System totally disconnected from grid by AC transfer switch (I know,
it’s crazy to buy a system and not grid-tie)

7)      All wiring, inverters and system components  housed in separate
metal enclosures and bonded (We used Midnite Solar battery boxes to house
the Magnum inverter, Outback CC and power panel)

8)      Propane generator wired to system via knife switch disconnect and
transfer switch

After installing this system, I ordered a few extra Midnite MNSPD
suppressors for my home and PV systems.   Suppressors are an easy, modest
amount of protection you could offer your concerned client, in my opinion.
The only way to test the effectiveness of such strategies is either hire a
testing company (expensive, I believe), or wait for one of these events.

Notes: I later got an order from the same client for an extra “back-up”
inverter and charge controller which I happily suppliedJ  All of the EMP
work we did almost trippled the system cost, which may be hard for some to
swalllow.  Some compromise between EMP protection and cost may be to just
provide extra components which get stored in metal boxes until an event
happens, then get them out and swap them for the fried ones.

Good luck!

Regards,

James Reismiller

NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®