[RE-wrenches] GFP and multiple charge controllers

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Wed Apr 18 15:27:53 PDT 2012

William,

There have been too many fires where GFP failed to operate correctly to
argue that they are really good at what they are supposed to do. But, I
think it is inappropriate to say they don't really work at all. How many
fires could have or would have happened without the GFP devices? Does
anyone have stats?

In every PV system I've installed, and since you do high quality work,
I'm confident that in every one that you have installed, the mounting
framework is securely grounded. The GFP device does not change that
circumstance. Every junction box, conduit, mounting rail, and PV module
is grounded and safe to touch regardless of what the GFP does. If
someone removes /the /module grounding while looking for a ground fault,
then it is possible to have an energized module frame, but the GFP
didn't create this risk. The system could be solidly grounded with no
GFP device and the module frame would be just as energized. It's
important that every PV installer understand that risk and also
understand that every properly grounded component of the system is still
perfectly safe.

My major complaint about the GFP is that, in battery systems, they
expose the homeowner to unsafe conditions. 690.5(C) requires that a GFP
hazard warning be located within site of the batteries. Unfortunately,
the person servicing the 12-volt or 24-volt refrigerator or lights isn't
going to see that warning. In the event of a ground fault that opens the
GFP device, the negative wire going to the lights or refrigerator or any
other dc load may be energized to -150-volts to ground. Or maybe -300
volts or -600 volts with some of the new charge controllers. Ground, the
green wire running everywhere, is connected to the positive PV wire
someplace in the array and the negative wire is connected to every
negative wire in the system. If the unexpected voltage isn't a bad
enough risk, the current may be worse. There is nothing to stop the arc
from the shorted PV array if someone accidently connects negative to
ground. This is actually a preventable circumstance: the GFP simply
needs to open both PV+ and PV-. The manufacturers need to step up and
correct this. The NEC needs to be changed to require it. This won't
reduce the risks at the PV array, but it is certainly worth it to design
components that don't but homeowners at unnecessary risk.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com