[RE-wrenches] GFP and multiple charge controllers

Philip solarphil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:54:43 PDT 2012

Darryl, OutBack makes GFDI in single, double and quad pole flavors:  80 Amps per pole, 1/2 Amp between the ground and grounded conductor.

The current method of ground fault protection is an imperfect beast, absolutely. However, it's been the industry standard and both the Code and standards have been written, interpreted and enforced in a manner that left installers and manufacturers little option. Like Kent, as an installer I never felt comfortable installing a device that, in a battery system, disabled the return fault current bond while leaving the inverter and DC loads operating. However, I want to call out and take exception to one of Kent's comments -- when there is a ground fault and the GF device lifts the bond, no metal object should be considered safe, no matter how securely you've grounded the array and all objects. By definition, all grounded surfaces which are normally at zero potential to ground should be considered as potentially energized when the system is indicating a fault. Think rattlesnake, loaded gun, whatever keeps your crew attentive and focused.

I think (but have no proof) that much of what passes as unusual or inexplicable behavior with PV arrays and ground faults resides in first-fault failures in the grounded conductors of PV arrays, to which current GFDI methods are blind.

I think the real solution will be when we as an industry transition to a more advanced method of GFDI, similar to what Europe does and what Bill Brooks and others are advocating. It's a better way.

Phil