[RE-wrenches] Array spacing for optimum performance

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Mon Apr 16 16:26:32 PDT 2012

Carl,

As you posed your question, with the array fixed at the angle optimized
for annual energy production, you've forced a solution that cannot meet
the goal of harvesting the maximum energy from the site.

To get the most energy from any site,  the array will be horizontal with
no spacing between rows. The intuitive way to see this is to consider
the question: how do you get every photon that hits the site to land on
a PV module? Horizontal is not a very practical solution. To wash clean
with rainfall, the modules need to have some slope; 10° to 15° is
usually considered minimum. If someone is to clean the modules by hand,
or inspect the modules, there must be access space between the rows.

Also, the horizontal solution isn't the most cost effective solution,
except perhaps near the equator. To get the most energy per money unit
(insert your choice: dollar, yen, ...), more information needs to be
considered. If the value of the land or roof surface is ignored, the
lowest cost per kWh will probably occur when the modules are spaced far
enough apart that there is virtually never any shading from the rows in
front and the optimum angle is a little less than the latitude. This
solution produces much less energy the maximum possible. And, of course,
ignoring the value of the land or roof space isn't practical either.

Ultimately, you have to look at what limits apply to the problem and
work from there.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com