[RE-wrenches] Array spacing for optimum performance

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Apr 16 13:30:34 PDT 2012

Carl,

This answer does not address a shading issue but may be pertinent to your question.

Due to the higher cost of electricity in Yuma, AZ in the summer, I installed an 18kW PV array with the elevation optimized for summer production. The utility company recently reported that the system is performing at 15% better than comparable sized systems. It may have to due with choice of components (very low temperature coefficient for power) but also due to the energy cost that is offset in the summer. So, even though the all year performance is compromised, it is still saving my customer more money annually.

Something to consider.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(928) 342-9103