[RE-wrenches] real world example - fuel saving with battery bank

Lee Bristol leebristol at standardsolar.com
Mon Apr 16 08:12:15 PDT 2012

Ron,

There is a simulation program called HOMER from NREL which is perfect for
sizing off-grid solar PV battery systems and for calculating the savings by
utilizing a small diesel generator.  It will optimize the usage of the
generator to minimize life cycle costs.  You will need to know the load
pattern on a 24 hour per day basis and can specify different patterns for
weekdays and weekends.  I have used HOMER for school PV battery systems in
Haiti.

Contact me off-list if you have any questions.

Lee

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ron Young <solareagle at solareagle.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the offer Chris & Dan, I'll contact you off list when I have
> more info. By load profile or pattern I assume you & Maverick are simply
> referring to the hourly energy use on a 24 hour basis - or weekly basis? I
> know that there is no one at the sites that can provide that but maybe I'll
> send them something like a TED or an Elite meter and get them to clip it on
> to their genset output for a week then record the data and send it back.
>
> Ron
>
> On 2012-04-14, at 5:49 AM, Chris Mason wrote:
>
> Ron,
> If you send me the load profile, insolation (or location), fuel price,
> generator and PV equipment specifications, I will send you back an analysis
> of the design options which will show the savings very clearly. It will
> also tell you the duty cycle for the generator and the levelized cost of
> energy for each scenario. This should help you to identify the right
> combination of equipment and help close the deal.
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Ron Young <solareagle at solareagle.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Wrenches,
>> I'm putting together a proposal for a national company that has a few
>> remote installations. They are looking for options for saving generator
>> run-time using an inverter-charger/battery combo with the existing gensets.
>> Does anyone have any real world examples of realized fuel savings in this
>> type of scenario? They run generators 24/7 and a lot of the dusk to dawn
>> energy requirement is well below the daytime needs. Appreciate any ideas or
>> examples.
>>
>> Ron Young
>>
>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>>
>> Options & settings:

>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org
>>

> --
> Chris Mason
> President, Comet Systems Ltd
> masonc at cometsystems.co
> www.cometsystems.co
> Cell: 264.235.5670
> Int: +1305.767.2094
> Skype: netconcepts

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Lee Bristol
NABCEP Certified Solar Designer/Installer

Co-Founder & Commercial Channel Manager
Standard Solar, Inc.
1355 Piccard Drive, #300
Rockville, MD 20850