[RE-wrenches] real world example - fuel saving with battery bank

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:55:36 PDT 2012

Hello Ron;

Please contact me off list. We specialize in extremely remote
installations, and have some example data we can send you.

Our northern BC flyfishing lodge installations were originally
intended to simply offset noisy generator runtime to hours when
clients were out fishing; however they also allow nighttime lighting
(ditch the kerosene lamps that break and can burn down wall tents) and
wireless internet/ satellite phone late at night for fishing clients.

We estimate that flying in gasoline for generators by floatplane and
helicopter at these locations put the cost of gas at $25 - $30 per
gallon. So the cost savings have been real! Not without hitches of
course; an extraordinarily rainy summer last year put the burden
primarily on generators instead of solar. Which sounds like the info
you want anyway.
--
Dan Fink,
Executive Director;