[RE-wrenches] Two Load Questions

frenergy frenergy at psln.com
Mon Dec 10 21:42:17 PST 2012

Alan,

        It seems like a full load analysis is a requirement for off-grid.  If you're simply encouraging a customer to do a load analysis you may as well hand them a tail and hope they find the donkey.  Granted it's easy to slide on it as it represents a great deal of time and most customers don't really "get it". It's the most difficult part of off-grid.

        Fairly large?.....Hmmm, 20-25 CF? I would figure 1.7 KWhr/day.  With a freezer being a constant load and winter having less solar, of course your idea of having the freezer outside would help.  Though you're having to cool more in the summer, there is more solar to do so.

        Will a DC-to-DC converter run a DC freezer?

        Yes, I think 55 watts is a good number for the "typical" 48", slow-med speed AC ceiling fan.  They certainly have their place but there goes another 1.3 KWhrs/day as people tend to leave them on all the time.

Bill