[RE-wrenches] Connecting Two Grid-Battery Backup Inverters to 120/208

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Wed Nov 28 10:06:48 PST 2012

We were asked to replace two failed Trace SW4048 inverters with two
Outback GT3048 inverters. Upon start up the slave inverter would not
connect.  We did not realize that the building service is 208, 3 phase.
The bypass is 120/240 which the SW4048s could connect to without a
problem. Outback says their inverters will not connect to this system
because of the phase angle of 120 and their software.

The phases are always going to be at this rotation, so I don't see a
transformer helping solve the problem, but this is something I am really
unfamiliar with.

So the input at the inverter panel is two 120 volt phase at 120 degrees.
The output to the EP is 120/240.

I am asking if anyone has an idea of how to fix this problem? The goal
is to have a grid interconnected system with battery backup.

Chris