[RE-wrenches] Connecting Two Grid-Battery Backup Inverters to 120/208

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Nov 28 10:56:15 PST 2012

Chris:

I am surprised that the SW inverters connected to this service.  They may
not have been synced properly.  Was there a ribbon cable between the two
inverters?  Maybe this is why they failed...

Are there 240 VAC loads in the system?  If not, you can configure the
inverters in parallel to provide 120 VAC only.  You also feed them 120 VAC
only, therefore the 120 degree phase angle between phases is not an
issue.  You must be careful not to imbalance the feeder.  Ask if you need
more information about this.

You could also install the proper transformer on the input to the inverters
to convert two phases of 3 phase to 120/240 split phase.  Here is a link to
a small version of this transformer:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?sku=70191805

As an aside, we purchased one of these transformers and the windings were
mislabelled.  After we sorted this out, the transformer later failed.  The
temporary mis-connection may have been the cause.  Always ohm your
transformer windings before you connect.

Lastly, if you ever encounter a center tapped delta three phase, the phase
angle on either side of the neutral is 180 degrees so that service will
connect directly to an Outback inverter system in single phase mode.

Good luck,

William Miller