[RE-wrenches] Steel roof attachments

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Sun Oct 21 09:00:38 PDT 2012

We have had good luck with a drill & tap attachment directly thru the
purlins.

I first researched thread pullout strength in steel on the www using 5/16-18
SS bolts. I copped a short section of standard gauge C-purlin from a local
steel erection company and did my own simple pullout testing. I don’t have
the calculations at hand but I recall that the purlin was .090 thick which
allowed almost two full threads in the steel. It was considerably more
pullout strength than lags in wood.

We would have used 5/16-24 bolts but fine thread is not available in SS in
that small size according to our supplier.

We rented the smallest magnetic-base drill press available and attached it
to a heavy steel plate since the mag wouldn’t stick to the sheet steel roof.
The plate has to be large enough to get both feet on to hold it flat which
assures that the drilled hole doesn’t wallow out from the drill moving
around. I also used a tap guide that assured the tap went in straight and
the threads were clean.

Etrna-Bond® tape on the bottom of a Snapnrac L foot attached directly to the
roof after clearing metal chips with a can of compressed air. The thick
sealant tape made an accurate torque value hard to verify, I ended up just
going by feel rather than waiting for the click. We ended up with 2
attachments per 81” rail and 2 landscape modules per pair of rails.

I’m completely confident in the installation and will use it again if the
need comes along.

My 2¢ [after 18 years as a machinist and toolmaker] on self-tapping screws
for a critical load like this is I would never consider it. The fit will be
sloppy and the more oversize or out-of-round your hole the less thread
engagement exists. I was disappointed that my bolt supplier could/would not
bother to look for the pullout calcs for me but maybe yours will.

The method I describe is labor intensive but it works if done properly.

Jim Duncan

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

www.ntrei.com <http://www.ntrei.com/>

NABCEP PV 031310-57