[RE-wrenches] center fed main panel and 120% rule

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Mon Oct 15 12:07:14 PDT 2012

If you back feed at the end of the bus bar where the main is connected
to the middle of the bus bar, the back fed breaker cannot overload the
bus bar between the main and the back fed breaker, but it would be
possible to overload the other side of the bus bar - it's being fed by
both the main and the back fed breaker. Seems like you shouldn't apply
the 120% rule to these panels. But realistically, the panel isn't likely
to be overloaded because most 200-amp panels are fed by services that
can't really deliver 200 amps, at least not for more than a very brief time.

And what about the SQ D QO or HOM 6-12L100 or 8-16L100 panels that can
be fed with main lugs that are on opposite ends (left for L1 and right
for L2)? Seems like you shouldn't apply the 120% rule to these either.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com