[RE-wrenches] center fed main panel and 120% rule

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Mon Oct 15 10:10:05 PDT 2012

Well the intent is so that no part of the bus bar is exposed to more than
its stated rating.  With the inverter breaker at the bottom and the main at
the top there isn't any spot on the bus that is subject to the sum of the
main and the inverter breaker currents.

With a center fed panel, the section of the bus bar on the opposite side of
the inverter breaker could in fact see the sum of the main and inverter
breaker currents.

I think it is best discussed with the AHJ upfront.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™ R031508-59
IREC ISPQ Certified Affiliated Instructor/PV US-0132

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org