[RE-wrenches] center fed main panel and 120% rule

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Oct 15 12:38:05 PDT 2012

Kent, Brian,

It still seems like a grey area to me. I think that from a conservative
point of view that we cannot apply the 120% rule to a center fed panel. In
my experience, AHJs around the Bay Area know a little about the 120% rule
but haven't thought about it to this level of detail. In other words,
they're probably fine with it in part perhaps due to ignorance. If we point
out the issue to them then we might very well have a problem.

For the vast majority of our projects we can find a solution but for a
small portion of projects we cannot downsize the main breaker and we're
really stuck. In the example photo that I sent the only option might be
switching out the main service panel.

Best,

August