[RE-wrenches] Two NEC questions

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Sat Oct 13 09:02:11 PDT 2012

RE Question #2:

Article 100 defines a service as:

Service. The conductors and equipment for delivering electric energy from the serving utility to the wiring system of the premises served. (emphasis added)

PV system wiring simply does not fit that definition. The PV system is not part of the serving utility. And inverters are not service equipment.

You need to refers them to this definition in Article 705.2 (added in NEC 2011):

Power Production Equipment. The generating source, and all distribution equipment associated with it, that generates electricity from a source other than a utility supplied service. (emphasis added)

FWIW: Mike Holt has written for SP about the Code requirements for interconnecting PV systems, as well as some additional recommendations for making supply side connections:

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP5_1_pg14_QA&search=

RE Question #1: I had a local inspector ask me about this in late-August & there were relatively few listed products at that time:

SMA America has dc AFCI in their standard SunnyBoy US-series inverters (SB 3000-US, SB 3800-US, SB 4000-US, SB 5000-US, SB 6000-US, SB7000-US, SB 8000-US): http://www.sma-america.com/en_US/news-information/current-news/news/news/1487.html
Microinverter systems (Enphase, Enecsys, etc.) typically do not operate above 80 Vdc and are therefore exempt from 690.11
AC module systems (powered by SolarBridge, Exeltech, etc.) typically do not operate above 80 Vdc and are therefore exempt from 690.11
SolarBOS reportedly has a dc AFDI and GFI combiner box: http://www.solarbos.com/news/solarbos-puts-out-the-fire-in-pv-systems (However, I don't see this product on their website under their regular lists of products.)
While module-level dc-to-dc converters—like those from SolarEdge and Tigo Energy—presumably have the ability to provide dc AFCI capabilities, last I checked it didn't look like any of them were formally listed to do so.

I suspect that most manufacturers are trying to avoid spending additional money on testing until the market requires this.

Have any wrenches here actually had an inspector required dc AFCI? Also, is the dc AFCI test standard actually finalized and adopted at this point or are companies testing to a draft standard?

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine
NABCEP Certified PV Installer ™
david.brearley at solarprofessional.com