[RE-wrenches] Two NEC questions

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Sun Oct 14 09:11:19 PDT 2012

Hi David and Rebecca -

We're still in the 2008 code cycle here in California so AFCI hasn't become
an issue yet. I just listened to a webinar by SMA last week and I believe
that their AFCI Sunny Boys wont' be shipping for at least a couple of
months.

Rebecca, have you already installed this system? What type of inverter do
you want to use? NEC 90.4 (Enforcement) states this:

"This *Code* may require new products, constructions, or materials that may
not yet be available at the time the *Code* is adopted. In such event, the
authority having jurisdiction may permit the use of the products,
constructions, or materials that comply with the most recent previous
edition of this *Code* adopted by the jurisdiction."

So, you might be able to convince the AHJ to enforce the 2008 NEC which
doesn't require AFCI. Or, use microinverters or ACPV as David mentioned
below.

Good luck out there!

-August