[RE-wrenches] Two NEC questions

Rebecca Lundberg Rebecca.Lundberg at powerfullygreen.com
Sat Oct 13 08:12:51 PDT 2012

Dear fellow wrenches,

Does anyone have suggestions for the 'best' way to keep up with product
availability for meeting 690.11 on DC AFCI? I understand that when this
code section was written there was no available device, and know that at
least several companies are working on devices. How will I know (before the
AHJ knows :-) that residential-scale products are available for purchase,
and at what point would you say now should be required over every other
option?

Second question: I have an inspector insisting that the solar PV system is
the same as a utility service, and is requiring all of the required service
code references to apply. Anybody have a concise reference that might
convince him otherwise? This same inspector has decided that the electrical
permit will have adders for each inverter as service equipment, and each
module as an electrical device. It would sure be nice if there was more
consistency...we're still in the early adopter phase here in Minnesota.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Keep Shining!
Rebecca Lundberg
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer ®