[RE-wrenches] Trojan 2 volt L-16s

John DeBoever jdeboever at trojanbattery.com
Mon Oct 8 13:00:12 PDT 2012

William, Wrenches,

Thank you for asking.

Indeed the Trojan Premium L16RE-2V  is a monoblock flooded lead-acid battery. The cells inside the monoblock are configured in parallel with internal interconnects that are factory-welded and typically offer lower resistance disparity compared to external interconnect cables and hardware connections. This typically results in slower promotion of  uneven cells typical in battery banks. Let's look at an example, when selecting an L16 2V  version vs. a L16 6V version of for the same battery bank Ah capacity:

For example, let's compare:

o   A battery bank of  1,110 Ah @ C20  @ 24V, configured as one string consisting of 12x L16RE-2V

= total of 12x L16RE-2V

= one string, thus total charging current  (Icharger) goes through all the external interconnects cables of the string

=  Icharger = I1 = I2 = I3, same current, most likely will age the units on a most similar way, with less impact on promoting uneven cells over time, although still possible.

    With

o   A battery bank of 1,110 Ah @ C20 @ 24V, configured as 3 strings in parallel, each strings consisting of 4x L16RE-B

= total of 12x L16RE-B

= three strings in parallel, thus total charging current (Icharger= I1 + I2 + I3) is divided into theoretically three same current in each string, except there is a higher probability that each string resistance will differ faster over time, thus promoting  faster uneven cells

For memo,  Trojan IND line are true 2V single cells, configured as 2V, or, 4V or 6V bundles in series in a dual-container. These 2V single cells will be perfect to consider for larger Ah battery banks.

Sunniest regards,

John

John F. DeBoever

Global Technical & Projects Director - Renewable Energy

Trojan Battery Company

12380 Clark Street

Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Tel: +1-562-236-3000 Ext. 3139

Cell: +1-845-514-7600 - NY office time zone: USA EST (GMT-5)

Skype: john.f.deboever

Fax: +1-562-236-3239

jdeboever at trojanbattery.com

www.trojanbattery.com