[RE-wrenches] Outback with grid charging

Jesse Dahl dahlsolar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:36:05 PDT 2012

Im with you on the wisdom of it.

The problem with my area is that people maybe good a grid tie, but there
are very few people that understand the off-grid applications (DT is the
only person I think is worth listening to.)  The contractor they chose was
the only contractor the home owners spoke to that lacked any type of
certification, not that that means anything.  The homeowner told them what
they wanted to do and the contractor said okay.  Even though it was a poor
idea.  I was shown email conversations between the two.  Of course there is
always two sides to these stories...

The system was supposed to use two wind generators to charge two battery
banks and then feed to FX3048 Outback inverters.  Both inverters were also
tied to the homes panelboard to help charge the bank in-case of low wind.
 The two Outbacks fed a 100A panelboard that had a few loads from the home
wired to it (well pump, furnace, sump, various receptacles)  The panel also
has a bypass switch that allows it to bypass the inverters all together and
use straight grid power to run the loads.

The homeowner supplied the wind and the controllers,
the contractor supplied the inverters and electrical BOS and the 16 MK 12V
batteries.  Another contractor came up to program the setpoints.

I have mentioned jobs like this before on the list, and I keep finding them
up here,  its getting a little old.

I told them today to get both generators up to at least 80 feet or to scrap
both a install a 4kW array.  I also said if the want to hire me, what I say
goes and if I say it all comes out to start over, that's what happens.