[RE-wrenches] Security / theft questions

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Fri Jul 6 22:06:55 PDT 2012

We installed an 8 Kw system in the Coachella Valley back in 2006, for a museum in Desert Hot Springs. It was a ground mount system behind a sand dune behind the museum. There was really no other place to put it. Since it was a relatively "High Crime" area we advised theft proof hardware. They opted out on the extra cost of that. 2 yrs later we received a call from their insurance carrier for a quote to replace the stolen modules. They had put a 6 ft high iron fence around the array, but the rails in the fence were 6" apart. someone in the middle of the night removed the modules, slipped them through the spaces in the fence and loaded them onto a truck and drove off into the night..... The system was installed under a state grant, but they ultimately decided not to replace it. As far as copper wire we have seen some of that over the years. building a high rise building or shopping center can take hundreds of thousands in wire, and occasionally some gets
 stolen.

Max Balchowsky
Design Engineer
SEE Systems