[RE-wrenches] Security / theft questions

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 18:43:09 PDT 2012

An earlier post alluded to "minimal value" of old PV making it a less likely
target.  In my case, neither age nor condition of the PV proved to be a
deterrent.

I had 40 Arco 16-2000 PV (30+ year-old PV) in a 1200 watt array (40 modules)
in use at my off-grid home, and someone stole 20 of the PV three years ago.

For those not familiar with these PV, they had 33 round cells, rated 33 watts per
panel, with two really funky connectors, one polarity at each end of the back
of the PV.

The backing on my PV was heavily browned, very much like the old Carizzo
"bronze" tri-lams and quad-lam PV sold used many years ago.  In spite of their
physical condition, they were producing better than 90% of their rated output.

Wiring from each PV, and from each array was enclosed in conduit, and all PV
were attached to a ground-mounted rack with stainless steel that had been
secured with Loctite 262.  The thieves couldn't break the hardware loose .. so
they separated the rack in the center and stole half of the array. They broke
some of the PV in the other half of the racking, and left it behind. Wiring was
cut off  at the terminals.  They left all of the conduit, wiring, and combiner box
behind.

Bottom line:
If they want it badly enough .. or think it's worth something .. they'll take it,
regardless of age or condition.

Though much time has elapsed, I'd still like to try to catch the thieves, even
though I know it's a long-shot.

If anyone has purchased (or been offered for purchase) any 16-2000 in the past
three years, please contact me off list.  My PV were stolen from northwest
Wisconsin, but could have turned up anywhere.  My instincts say this was a
"local" job, and I have a reason to believe the PV may still be in use somewhere
in Wisconsin around the area northeast of the town of Rice Lake.  Then again...

Dan