[RE-wrenches] L feet no flashing in shingle roof

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:35:12 PDT 2012

I don't believe you are correct here. The body of the lag does not do
anything for the holding power, it is the threads that prevent pullout. If
you drive a 5/16 lag into a 3 x 8 without a pilot hole, you will be putting
a lot of pressure into the wood to split it. It might not split every time,
it might not split right then, but you are definitely introducing a lot of
stress for no good reason. On any of these techniques for mounting, I want
to follow the manufacturers recommendations, otherwise how can you be sure
if you are right. Without a testing lab, you have no way to know.
I think mounting PV systems IS a science project, it takes care and thought
to do it right. We do a lot of concrete roof installations in hurricane
areas, and mounting keeps me up at night.

Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com
Cell: 264.235.5670