[RE-wrenches] L feet no flashing in shingle roof

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Mon Jul 2 07:29:29 PDT 2012

I always thought that installing lag screws was tough enough with pilot
holes- I should hit the gym. I'm not a structural PE, but I think that
not drilling pilot holes violates the American Wood Council's National
Design Specs and therefore violates the IBC too. I would imagine that
you'd be much more likely to split your trusses. IBC also requires
flashings be used but at least around here inspectors never ask for it
(which makes sense- as you all know, Florida never sees wind or rain,
and definitely not at the same time). What silicone do you use that's
compatible with asphalt shingles?

DKC