[RE-wrenches] GFP and multiple charge controllers

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Wed Apr 18 14:21:02 PDT 2012

William,

Square D used to make a QO breaker body without the overcurrent trip
mechanism. Internally it just had the switch contacts and it was
intended for use as a disconnect in locations where overcurrent
protection was already provided. The reason I mention this is that the
80-amp PV GFP should not be thought of as overcurrent protection. In
fact it would be most appropriate if the 80-amp side of the GFP didn't
have an overcurrent trip mechanism. It /should/ only be sensitive to
ground faults. If it is sensitive to overcurrent, then it may be
activated when there isn't a ground fault and unnecessarily disconnect
the negative conductor from ground.

Code prohibits the use of a GFP as a disconnect for the PV array. I
believe that's because they intend the power system to remain bonded to
ground except in the event of ground fault. It follows that the GFP
should not be used as a disconnect between the batteries and charge
controller either. That's my interpretation. The Code doesn't mention
the possibility of putting the GFP between the batteries and charge
controller as Outback's instructions for the GFDI require. So, even
though Outback's instructions for the GFDI don't show it, put an
appropriate breaker for overcurrent protection between the battery and
the GFDI, then use wire that's appropriate for the charge controller and
overcurrent protection.

In my opinion putting the GFDI between the batteries and charge
controller is a really bad idea. Nearly all charge controllers warn that
the battery should be turned on first and turned off last. It puts much
more stress on the charge controller when the battery circuit is opened
under load than it does when the PV circuit is opened. In fact opening
the battery circuit may well cause the charge controller to fail.
Outback warns that if their charge controllers are connected to a
positive ground system, the communication port of the charge controller
or the Hub may be damaged. If there is a fault in the PV array that
causes the GFDI to open, it very well may leave the system in a positive
ground condition.

When upgrading an older PSDC Outback system which instructions are more
appropriate to follow? The ones for the PSDC that show the GFP before
the charge controller. Or the newer instructions for the GFDI that show
it after the charge controller. Except the the label and instructions
the GFP and the GFDI are identical. In case you don't remember, the PSDC
came with a schematic showing all possible options attached to the back
of the front panel. When it comes time to troubleshoot sometime in the
future, that schematic is still going to be there.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com
t: 541-568-4882