[RE-wrenches] Absolyte recovery

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 17 08:27:51 PST 2012

Chris,

Look for hair-like cracks around the cell terminals. The cracks are failure indicators caused by temperature swings. In Malibu California, a 75 kWh, 48-volt Absolyte battery bank failed after 4 years. Malibu has a very mild climate but temperature in the uninsulated equipment room ranged from 40 F in winter to 90 F in summer. The PV system is grid connected with battery backup. Absolytes were used to replace an IBE battery bank because no one was watering the IBE cells. Two years ago, the Absolytes were replaced with a new IBE battery bank that is inspected and watered every 6 months.

Joel Davidson