[RE-wrenches] Absolyte recovery

mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:07:16 PST 2012

Hi again wrenches,

I wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding this discussion in the
interest of not tarnishing any reputations undeservedly.  Apollo had
nothing to do with the design of this system, other than showing me how to
hook their equipment up with a positive ground.  For that matter, we didn't
either, we were replacing what was there and working, previous to a
catastrophic lightning strike.  The client had no interest in replacing the
batteries at that time, and after some unsophisticated testing, we had no
reason to believe that they had been damaged in the lightning strike.  The
Apollo equipment has worked flawlessly since the installation.  The trouble
has been with starting faults at the generator itself, once because it was
vandalized, and a ground fault in the telecom equipment itself, which took
our solar equipment off-line.  No complaints whatsoever with the Apollo
gear or their tech support.

I am still waiting to hear back from GNB and will post when I learn
anything about the Absolytes.

Thanks

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Joel Davidson
<joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> **
> Chris,
>
> Look for hair-like cracks around the cell terminals. The cracks are
> failure indicators caused by temperature swings. In Malibu California, a 75
> kWh, 48-volt Absolyte battery bank failed after 4 years. Malibu has a very
> mild climate but temperature in the uninsulated equipment room ranged from
> 40 F in winter to 90 F in summer. The PV system is grid connected with
> battery backup. Absolytes were used to replace an IBE battery bank because
> no one was watering the IBE cells. Two years ago, the Absolytes were
> replaced with a new IBE battery bank that is inspected and watered every 6
> months.
>
> Joel Davidson

Mac Lewis

*