[RE-wrenches] Apparent power

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Feb 5 10:42:13 PST 2012

I was just wondering about this same issue: of inverters being used to
support the grid.  Just as charge controllers reduce their output
current as the voltage reaches absorption voltage, I was thinking that
GT inverters could do the same thing, instead of just shutting off, and
not reconnecting for at least 5 minutes.
In Hawaii, with PV penetration on the grid as high as 15%, the utility
asks us to widen the voltage operating window beyond IEEE specs, as
they've found that when they have a low voltage line condition, the PV
systems actually help, and they don't want them to shut off too soon and
add to the problem.
I could see a new generation of inverter specs beyond UL1741,  that was
part of a smart grid controlled by the utility.  They could extend the
operating window when needed to keep the grid more stable.  As subsidies
dry up, this could be a future selling point, especially if it offered
the customer a more stable conditioned power supply.  Also be nice for
the customer to get paid extra for this emergency peaking capabilities,
just like the big generating facilities.  It might even make GT w/
battery backup more cost effective, if you could sell some battery
amp-hrs at $1/ kwh every once in a while.

Ray Walters