[RE-wrenches] Marine battery bank switch

SunHarvest eric at harvesthesun.com
Thu Oct 11 15:23:30 PDT 2012

I recently installed a Blue Sea 4-way marine battery switch to switch between two battery banks, one new bank and one old bank. I was hesitant to connect the negative home-runs from both banks onto one common bus (connected directly to a ground rod), which then connects back to the DC load center at the inverter. But that's how I was advised to wire it by an electrician friend.

It appears now that the newer bank was performing quite a bit better prior to being connected to the marine switch (and neg lead to the neg bus) and the old bank is now performing better than before. I think my electrician buddy was incorrect and that even the positive leads being on a switch and neg lead on a neg bus, the banks are still, to some extent, effectively paralleled and that the new bank is being pulled down by being indirectly connected to the old bank.

Thoughts and advice on how to correct the wiring if needed?

Sorry to ask such a simple question, I'm just a little rusty on off-grid.

Thanks guys.

Eric Stikes
SunHarvest Solar