[RE-wrenches] Thermal storage water stabilizer

Nathan Stumpff Nathan at arcticsun-llc.com
Fri Aug 10 12:03:24 PDT 2012

Thermal wrenches,

I have a series of upcoming projects involving large (up to 10,000 gallon) water storage. They are closed (air-tight) but unpressurized (oversized expansion capability) systems, basically just a mass of water. We move heat in (solar, masonry heater) and out (DHW, space heating) exclusively via heat exchangers, so once we seal up the lid there is no introduction of any new material, including air, until bladder replacement or other maintenance, hopefully a long time off.

Obviously de-ionized water would be the best choice for initial fill, but it is not going to happen. My thought is that with no new source of oxygen, minerals, etc., the small amounts that will be present on fill up can't pose a big problem.

Anyone with experience here? Any ideas or leads for a stabilizer to add on initial fill? What problems am I not seeing?

Many thanks,
-Nathan

--
Nathan J. Stumpff - Arctic Sun, LLC
NABCEP Certified PV Installer #091209-175