[RE-wrenches] Thermal storage water stabilizer

Will White William.White at realgoods.com
Mon Aug 13 05:29:22 PDT 2012

Nathan,

We've done a couple of systems with large unpressurized tanks (STSS).  They work well but there are a couple of things you need to pay attention to.  We use tap water to fill the tank which works fine but you have to make sure the PH of the water is in the correct range.  I can't remember what that is off hand but the STSS manual has a whole section on correct PH and want to add (I think it's baking soda) to correct the PH.  The second tip is make sure all the ports and the lid are properly sealed with calk.  The STSS tanks come with the calk, I'm not sure if other brands include it.  If you don't seal all the openings well when the tank heats up and produces condensation that water will leak out the ports and create a mess and reduce the efficiency of the insulation.

We used to make our own heat exchangers with K soft copper and trex to hold it all together.  That worked well on most systems but we had one where the copper eroded where it was in contact with the trex.   We think it was due to improper PH of the water in the tank. I'd recommend buying the heat exchangers from the manufacture.

Good luck,
Will

Will White
Regional Field Operations Manager - New England

Real Goods Solar
64 Main St.
Montpelier, VT 05602
Tel: (802) 223-7804