[RE-wrenches] NEC 480 - battery enclosure question

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Wed Dec 14 22:15:55 PST 2011

Dan,

While the battery box, or maybe the whole room they are in, do fit the
definition of a Class 1 Division 2 location, I don't think it is
consistent with the intent of that section. Wring methods for hazardous
locations are specifically designed to keep the wiring isolated from the
hazard. That notion doesn't work batteries - they are the source of the
hazard and the wires do run to, and into, them. To be complaint with the
requirements for hazardous locations the batteries would have to have
integrated gas tight junction boxes enclosing the terminals. And
interior of the battery would still remain an explosive environment with
energized conductors no matter what is done to wiring on the exterior of
the battery. Batteries are a special hazard and wiring methods specified
for Class 1 Division 2 locations won't mitigate that hazard.

It takes a lot of ventilation to keep the H2 levels below the explosive
threshold.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com