[RE-wrenches] High Voltage MPPT units; Adding battery backup

Jeff Clearwater jeffc at villagepower.com
Thu Nov 10 10:49:21 PST 2011

Hi Drake,

A GENTRAN or equivalent is standard equipment for adding a backup
generator to a house or small business as an alternative to one main
manual or automatic transfer switch.   It's simply a box with 8-12
individual transfer switch breakers some 120 and a few 240 - mostly 15
and 20 amp.  They sell plug-in types and hard wire types where the
output of a small gas generator is either plugged into the face of the
unit or hardwired into the buss.

Then there is a bundle of wires that run from the GENTRAN to the house
breaker panel.  For each house circuit you want to backup you simply
interupt the load line coming out of that main panel circuit breaker
with the 2 lines from the individual transfer switches in the GENTRAN.
So on the GENTRAN you switch each circuit between "GEN" or "Utility".
Then you simply use the output of your new off-grid solar inverter to
feed the GEN side and during a power outage you can not only switch your
house over to your solar inverter with no dedicated critical loads
subpanel but you can control how much load you want to put on your
backup solar.

I've used 2 GENTRANS to cover all the circuits in a house - so IMHO it's
better than a dedicated subpanel or an all-house automatic transfer
switch in that you can pick and choose how much load you want to expose
your inverter and batteries too.  The only disadvantage is they only
usually come in 15 and 20 amp circuits and usually offer only one or 2
240 Volt circuits.  If you want to empower a 30 or 50 Amp 240 circuit -
there are other companies that sell GENTRAN type switches with
customizable breaker options but they are much more expensive.

Do watch your neutral and grounding circuits though.  Since the neutral
is bonded at the Main panel you want to be consistent with the "grounded
conductor grounded at one and only one point rule" when the GENTRAN is
installed and switched - a point many electricians miss when they
install backup generators.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design