[RE-wrenches] Cummins DC generator

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Oct 30 14:02:00 PDT 2011

The advantage of a DC generator is the generator doesn't have to be sized to handle the AC loads, plus surge, plus charging all at once.
Also, you have isolation for sensitive electronics that might not like a generator's waveform as it flattens and its voltage drops under a surge load.
Third, it is more fuel efficient, both because it doesn't go through as many voltage conversions, but also because the generator can be sized smaller.
Definitely the good old AC gen set into a regular inverter/ charger is easier and lower cost for most applications, so we're just kicking the DC generator idea around a bit.

Actually I probably wouldn't even worry about 3 stage charging with the genny, as I never try to fully charge a battery that way; its way too inefficient.
I use the genny to get through bad weather, get the batteries up to a bulk voltage, and then let the much more efficient PV do the last 20% of charge or EQ.
I set the genny to a high bulk charge voltage, almost an EQ setting, and then tell the customer to keep the run time down, which isn't hard for them, as they are very aware when the gen set is running and consuming precious fuel. I usually have it start at 40% to50% Battery SOC, and shut off at 70% to80%. That's all bulk charging, so 3 stage charging isn't really used anyway.
Unless you have a really large generator relative to the battery size, and an infinite fuel supply, its pretty hard to radically overcharge a battery. Also its usually in the winter when cells are cold, so thermal runaway is less of a problem as well.

This is why I don't set up for auto EQ though. If you had a hot summer day, no one home, a small sealed, fully charged battery and then the gen set does a 12 hr EQ every 2 weeks; that would kill some batteries quick. Its just common sense, for instance on GT with Battery backup, I set the charge rate from the grid down to a trickle charge so bad things won't happen to the smallish sealed batteries connected to a 24/7 charging source. Just think what would happen to sealed batteries with a dead cell, and the grid charger was set to full charge rate? Might eventually start a fire.....

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer