[RE-wrenches] mixing aluminum and galvanized steel

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at 1scom.net
Wed Oct 5 20:11:41 PDT 2011

Since your'e embedding galvanized anchors in concrete remember that corrsion
of the zink content in the hot dipped galv plating is worse the higher the
pH of the concrete during the curing process. Very high pH in wet cement is
normal.
If this is a large job you might want to check with the concrete provider
about additives to the mud that will reduce the effect. Since the reaction
is between the surface of the galv and the concrete microscopic spaces may
form causing an entry point for water that will make things worse over time.

Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy
NABCEP Certified Solar PV
Installer No.031310-57
TECL 27398
ntrei at 1scom.net
817.917.0527
www.ntrei.com

> This is an amazingly timely post for me!  I was just thinking of asking
> the
> same question since i have a couple of ground mount installs coming up
> with
> concrete pillars/galvanized anchor bolts/aluminum channel base.  I notice
> that DPW for example specs galvanized pipes to be attached with u-bolts to
> their aluminum racking in their LGM racks.

 Anxiously awaiting the collective wisdom...