[RE-wrenches] mixing aluminum and galvanized steel

conrad geyser conradg at cape.com
Wed Oct 5 15:08:41 PDT 2011

My experience on the Northeast coast(salty sometimes) is that the
galvanizing helps protect all the metals in the system.  The zinc in the
most anodic metal on the chart and will help protect anything.  On the
contrary, the stainless and the aluminum do react and in the case of
fasteners, often freeze.

Don't use zinc plated of course, just hot dipped.

Conrad

Cotuit Solar