[RE-wrenches] mixing aluminum and galvanized steel

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Oct 5 14:29:31 PDT 2011

I haven't used neoprene, but I usually use SS washers to isolate dissimilar metals. Painted or powder coated steel doesn't always need this, but galvanized definitely would. How careful we are with these issues is proportional to the distance from the ocean. In New Mexico you can get away with a lot more; in Hawaii, I'm checking hardware with a magnet to make sure it is high enough quality stainless.
I actually prefer Zinc plated hardware for the bigger stuff (3/8") if corrosion will allow, as it is stronger, cheaper, and doesn't have thread spalling issues (I second the use of anti seize on SS hardware)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer