[RE-wrenches] Long-term Backup Power; was AC Coupling

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Sep 4 12:12:13 PDT 2011

Hi Allan;

I'm getting some of those same jobs, like y2K. Just like then, I'm not feeding peoples' fears, but alleviating them.
I've played around with my own GTWB system that had only a 4kwh battery, and it can provide usable power indefinitely. It behaved basically like an off grid system with an undersized battery: Lots of midnight outages, only to recharge the next afternoon for several more hours of operation. Its not ideal, but definitely light years beyond candlelight. I prefer this to a larger battery, as 99.8% of the time you'll be in GT mode, and not use the batteries at all. I have sold a few systems with large HUP banks that are GTed, but the customer knows the trade offs, and came to that conclusion themselves.
I too don't pretend to predict the future, and just offer what different designs will likely do in various scenarios.
A volcanic or nuclear event that blots out the sun for years for instance is going to make solar not function very well, but hey that's just my unexperienced (thank goodness) opinion.
I even have a very good customer who believes that some day he may  have to make the choice between keeping the power on and accepting the "mark of the beast".
Obviously I'm not going to feed those kinds of fears, but in the end he bought a big system, and I have supported him just like all my other customers.
Super green, super conservative, super rich, super poor, I have some of the most interesting customers of any business ever, and only one partially unpaid invoice in 15 years.
Regardless of their initial motivations, we're introducing more people to solar.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer