[RE-wrenches] battey back-up questions

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Tue Sep 6 05:35:46 PDT 2011

I am getting rusty on my battery knowledge as I rarely work with them
anymore, so here's a few questions for you battery gurus out there. In
back-up systems with flooded batteries, I've always been told it's good to
put them through several charge/discharge cycles when they are new to
achieve rated capacity, then perhaps simulate a power failure to exercise
them at some regular basis so they don't lose capacity by inactively sitting
there at a float charge. Is this accurate information for flooded battery
care in this situation?

What should be done differently for gell / AGM batteries in a backup system?
Does regular exercise or lack thereof have any influence on longevity?
Thanks.

Kirk Herander

Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202  fax 802.863.7908

VT RE Incentive Program  Partner

NYSERDA Incentive-eligible Partner

NABCEPTM    Charter Member Certified Installer