[RE-wrenches] Long-term Backup Power; was AC Coupling

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Sun Sep 4 10:13:08 PDT 2011

   Twenty years ago 100% of our installations were battery based, off
grid. That is all there was, at least here in Maine. Nowadays, we are
installing about 75% grid tie. Of that, about 25% use batteries in
their system with a "critical loads" sub-panel. The remaining 25% of
our clients are off grid and very much reflect the society we live in.
Largely the clients are retired and are looking for a form of security
that can't be had in a worst case scenario such as Allan talks about
below. We also do a lot of work in the Caribbean, where utilities do
not allow for intertie agreements. We just had two large off grid
systems on Cat Island in the Bahamas take a direct hit from Irene (130
mph winds there last week) and beside one charge controller in one
system which was mounted below a leak in one roof, everything in both
installations continued to function well. There is little availability
of generator fuel on Cat Island without electricity and a good part of
the island still has none (electricity), while my clients continue to .
This is a testimony to that independence to which Allan also inferred
his clients were interested in.
   We continue in Maine to see "independence driven" systems where the
clients want batteries. It does take considerably more skill and
knowledge on the part of the installer, and more maintenance on the
part of the client, but all things are relative to the value we place
on them. Independence is priceless...every big storm here in Maine
reminds me of that when my battery bank keeps me in power and my panels
keep charging. It is a good feeling that I try to encourage to those
who express interest in battery backup or off grid.
   We are currently installing battery backup type systems for on average
about $12-$14 per installed watt, sometimes less, sometimes more
depending on the "down time" load requirements.....

Just two cents from Maine....
Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
Penobscot Solar Design