[RE-wrenches] Electric boiler usage?

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 11:05:37 PDT 2011

Sorry Jesse I answered the wrong question.  I answered the question as to how big the boiler has to be in a super insulate house in northern Minnesota.
The house I was workiong at yesterday, in northern Minnesota, about 10,000 DD,  3000 sq. ft super insulated. had worked fine for 3 years. They were on electric resistance boiler, 12 kW,  my memory (over 70+ years old so it might not be any good)  remembers they used about 20,000 kWh/yr They used to have a kWh meter on the just the boiler.  About 3 years ago they changed to a heat pump, a 2 ton ground source and water loop heating.  They are very happy with the heat pump, but their system has control issues, the reason for my visit.  I did not install the heat pump, but the installer removed the kwh meter and can, so it is not metered I asked and was told they thought the HP was using about 1/2 of the energy.   I am going to try to get an e-gauge into the system,

The house is three floors, basement and first have concrete in floor heating, (fluid temp of 95 will heat on -40 F day) very nice, the top floor has floating wood (about 1/4 inch) over plywood over "tubes in groves" wood panels.  The top floor can not heat with the heat pump during most of the winter the in floor can not get hot enough to supply enough heat to keep it up to temperature.  I have been called on to make the top floor heat,

I shoujld not write so long an email.  I had a lot to do with the design and installation of most of the house.
Darryl