[RE-wrenches] Fronius IG vs IG Plus inverters

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Tue Jun 28 18:04:18 PDT 2011

Howie,
I've had nothing but good luck with Fronius. I've had a few failures (what inverter manu doesn't?) but very few and Fronius has excellent tech support and  the best installer compensation program out there. I never load up any inverter to maximum PV watts if I can help it. I think that's a bad idea with any piece of electronics.
I use both the IG and the IG Plus depending on the situation. Love the low PV voltage input on the IG, especially on small systems. While it's generally bad design to feed any inverter less than about 75% of it's MPPT window, sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. The multiple string inputs on the IG Plus doesn't do much for me. I prefer to put my series fusing up on the roof and in Oregon, we are now required to put a disco up there on nearly all systems anyway, so...why?
Cheers, bob-O