[RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 06:59:09 PDT 2011

Hi Bill,

>Hugh, .25 x C20 would be a C80 rate

Sorry I did not mean that, and I do not think that is what the
manufacturers instructions mean either.  They mean 0.25 times the C20
capacity.  That is closer to the C4 rate!  (And they say 'up to 0.35
x capacity' ).

>  All controllers that I've ever worked with make adjustments in
>current to meet the transitions between bulk-absorption-float.

Again we are not speaking about the same thing.  The manufacturers
ask for a transition to float voltage when the charging current drops
to a certain level.  This is very different from the PWM control of
current to maintain a given voltage (absorb or float).  It's a
criterion for changing from the one to the other.

>  I've generally steered clear of sealed batteries, believing that
>the trade-off between maintenance and the fragility of plates made
>with calcium instead of antimony favors adding water occasionally.

Me too.  However in some cases a sealed battery is required.  And I
am learning.

It seems that in my situation I do not need to worry too much about
the transition point so long as I observe the correct temp
compensated absorb voltage and try to sustain it until the current
virtually disappears, after which it does not too much matter if it
floats or goes on at that current and voltage for several hours more.

thanks for the comments.
--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig