[RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 28 06:05:21 PDT 2011

Hugh, .25 x C20 would be a C80 rate, and with flooded batteries, C100 was
the cutoff point at which you could do without a controller. All controllers
that I've ever worked with make adjustments in current to meet the
transitions between bulk-absorption-float. PWM controllers do it by
adjusting the width of the current pulse - but by basing the point of
transition on reading voltage instead of counting current.  I agree that a
$450 controller is a lot to add into a small system bid. I've generally
steered clear of sealed batteries, believing that the trade-off between
maintenance and the fragility of plates made with calcium instead of
antimony favors adding water occasionally.

Bill Dorsett

Sunwrights

Manhattan, KS