[RE-wrenches] Float, Sell Voltages

Maverick Brown [Maverick Solar] maverick at mavericksolar.com
Thu Apr 7 07:03:38 PDT 2011

Mike,

I approached it as if the batteries where installed in a UPS system. What
constant float voltage would the batteries be charged at during grid-up, so
they would be ready for grid-down?

I would use 53.2V for Float and for Sell.

I also recommend to use software on the inverter to automatically bring the
batteries to Absorb periodically. Most inverters have a setting to do this
daily. The Absorb Time can be rather short since the Depth of the Discharge
is so low. Of course, I would use different Absorb settings for an off-grid
location.

I am not sure what you mean by "wide open". The Charge Controller should go
wide open so long as it can stay in Bulk mode while the inverter is selling.
I have seen settings on the CC that cause it to go into Float and then the
inverter has nothing to sell.

I would not set the float to 55V for hours on end. The batteries might start
to off-gas. At the same time, you can adjust Sell seasonally for inverters
that do not Temperature Correct the Sell Voltage. Concorde's Lifeline AGM
Technical Manual has a temperature chart that explains the V/T relationship.

Good Luck,

Maverick

Maverick Brown
BSEET, NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer R # 091209-26
President & CEO
Maverick Solar Enterprises, Inc.