[RE-wrenches] sizing a sub-panel used to combine multiple inverter outputs

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Wed Mar 30 09:59:19 PDT 2011

This is diagram is based on a 3-phase 208 V service, as clarified in the
text accompanying the diagrams. There is a mistake of sorts, however. The
authors¹ original manuscript called out a ³generic² 7500W inverter connected
to 50A, 2-P breaker. We then added more detail, calling out a Fronius 7500W
IG Plus inverter. However, according to the most recent product data from
the manufacturer, the max AC OCPD rating for this inverter is 45A, not 50A.
The example still works w/ 45A breakers: 400A + 90A = 490A, which is larger
than the 480A allowed under the 120% rule. Apply the subpanel & that problem
is eliminated.

RE: the question about which breaker to count. Code experts like Bill Brooks
& John Wiles have clarified that when a dedicated inverter aggregation panel
is used, the breaker on the output of the panel can be considered ³the
output of the utility interactive inverter(s).² The intent of the language
in 690.64(B)(2) in NEC 2008 about series connected panels is not to make you
count all of the breakers in a dedicated inverter aggregation panel. Rather
it is to clarify that it is unnecessary use the progressively larger
upstream breakers ratings, which can be ³fed² by the inverters, in your
point of connection calculations.

RE: the original question. I think the most correct answer is ³It depends.²
It depends on your jurisdiction and your PE. A literal interpretation of the
Code would appear to have you upsize the inverter aggregation panel and the
feeder conductor. But there is certainly precedent for AHJs not requiring
this. If you propose labeling the inverter aggregation panel ³PV Only ‹ Do
Not Add Loads² and mark the feeder conductor with warnings ³PV Only ‹ Do Not
Tap² wherever it is exposed, you may find that the AHJ will not require you
to upsize these.

Hope that¹s cleared than mud,

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine