[RE-wrenches] sizing a sub-panel used to combinemultipleinverter outputs

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:36:05 PDT 2011

 I concur with Jason and Brian's interpretation of 690.64(B)(2).  I think
one of the intents of the code is to ensure that if there is a fault in a
busbar or conductor and the maximum amperage is being delivered to that
fault from all OCPDs supplying it (solar + utility), the busbar or conductor
should be able to handle the sum of those fault currents.  I have
encountered numerous jurisdictions that interpret it this way, and it is
hard to argue with them from a strictly code perspective.

However, Jason Fisher once pointed out to me that if the fault occurs in a
feeder between the main service panel and a subpanel (solar accumulation
panel or otherwise) it is impossible for any part of that conductor to carry
more current than allowed by the largest OCPD feeding the conductor.  Its
the same principle behind the 690.64(B)(7) requirement to locate the solar
interconnection breaker at the opposite end of the busbar from the incoming
feeders.  This argument obviously doesn't apply to accumulation panel
busbars where you have more than 2 OCPDs supplying current, but I think it
is a valid argument for basing your feeder conductor sizing on the largest
OCPD protecting that conductor.

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt
Principal
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)
(202) 486-7507
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

[image: 24 copy.jpg]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough