[RE-wrenches] Can I handle the voltage drop?

dave at independentpowerllc.com dave at independentpowerllc.com
Tue Feb 15 04:30:12 PST 2011

Mark,
As you know it depends on two things. What the grid voltage is and at what voltage the Enphase inverters stop pushing current (check with enphase, it could actually shut down at lower than 264vac). The grid voltage is the unknown here. If it is 245vac adding a 4% line loss results in 254.8vac at the inverter. If 254vac grid then 264 at the inverters with a 4% loss.
We had case where a Sunny Boy was shutting down because of high grid voltage. The utility adjusted their voltage down at the transformer taps. They knew that voltage was high in this neighborhood (256vac), they said that they had been meaning to correct that problem soon anyway. They brought it down to 246vac and no more problems for the SB inverter.
Dave
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T