[RE-wrenches] Can I handle the voltage drop?

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Feb 14 19:42:11 PST 2011

Folks,

I am working on a proposal. It's a ground mount 300+ feet from the meter.
There is an existing, near by run of #2 copper I can tap into. The desired
system is relatively large, 64 amps AC max. I have modeled the yield using
PV watts hourly data, applying a power loss based on the voltage drop at the
varying current. This model shows a 3% loss in annual yield with the #2
copper. Because of the economics of the system, we can absorb this loss.

My concern however is that I do not want the inverters to shut down when
operating at higher currents. I do not want a high AC line voltage fault due
to the voltage drop on the line. At the 64 amps max, the drop  would be
about 4%. Of course all the manufactures I talk with recommend keeping the
drop on the AC below 1.5%.

I am looking at using Enphase inverters which spec an AC voltage range up to
264V, or 10% above 240V nominal.

What experience have folks had out there? How far can one realistically push
the 1.5% limit and still avoid AC voltage faults when there is high voltage
drop on the line?

My guess is that everything would work out fine, but I stand to loss a huge
amount of energy if the inverters are spending all their time faulting and
resetting during daily peaks.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way