[RE-wrenches] PV encapsulation qualities

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 4 08:57:31 PST 2011

Conrad,

Your concern about encapsulation is justified but not just for Chinese
products. EVA and Tedlar are relatively standard throughout the world. My
concern is less about the source or the materials and more about process
time and temperature which are critical in the encapsulation process.

In an effort to be better-faster-cheaper or to differentiate themselves from
the pack, some manufacturers are using other encapsulants. This is not bad.
While it is true that not all change is for the better, nothing gets better
without change. Your choices are clear: buy tried-and-true technology from
well-established companies and hope that they continue to practice good
quality control and/or take the risk and buy innovative technology. I do
both with open eyes and an open mind and have rarely been burned.

Joel Davidson